Today is The Queen’s 96th birthday! To mark her birthday, we’ve selected our favourite quotes from throughout her reign.
– ‘While we may have more still to endure, better days will return: we will be with our friends again; we will be with our families again; we will meet again.’ – Taken from The Queen’s Broadcast during the COVID-19 pandemic.
– ‘The wartime generation—my generation—is resilient.’ – Featured in a speech at commemorations to mark the 75th anniversary of D-Day.
– ‘When life seems hard, the courageous do not lie down and accept defeat; instead, they are all the more determined to struggle for a better future.’ – The Queen’s Christmas broadcast in 2008.
– ‘He has, quite simply, been my strength and stay all these years, and I, and his whole family, and this and many other countries, owe him a debt greater than he would ever claim, or we shall ever know.’ – Featured in Her Majesty’s speech where she and Philip celebrated their Golden Wedding anniversary at a lunch at Banqueting House. She also looked back on ‘a remarkable 50 years.’
– ‘I know of no single formula for success. But over the years I have observed that some attributes of leadership are universal and are often about finding ways of encouraging people to combine their efforts, their talents, their insights, their enthusiasm and their inspiration to work together.’ – Taken from a U.N. General Assembly speech in 2001.
– ‘The path, of course, is not always smooth, and may at times this year have felt quite bumpy, but small steps can make a world of difference.’ – Taken from her 2019 Christmas broadcast.
– ‘Whatever life throws at us, our individual responses will be all the stronger for working together and sharing the load.’ – Taken from The Queen’s speech at a state banquet in Ireland in 2011.
– ‘Let us not take ourselves too seriously. None of us has a monopoly on wisdom.’ — Featured in her 1991 Christmas broadcast.
– ‘It’s worth remembering that it is often the small steps, not the giant leaps, that bring about the most lasting change.’ – Taken from her 2019 Christmas broadcast.
– ‘She had an infectious zest for living, and this remained with her until the very end. I know too that her faith was always a great strength to her.’ – Featured in a speech following the death of the Queen Mother in 2002.
– ‘I believe that, young or old, we have as much to look forward to with confidence and hope as we have to look back on with pride.’ – Taken from Her Majesty’s Golden Jubilee message in 2002.
– ‘Each day is a new beginning, I know that the only way to live my life is to try to do what is right, to take the long view, to give of my best in all that the day brings, and to put my trust in God.’ – Taken from her 2002 Christmas broadcast.
– ‘It has been women who have breathed gentleness and care into the harsh progress of mankind.’ – Featured in her 1966 Christmas broadcast.
– ‘I declare before you all that my whole life whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service and to the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong’ – Taken from a speech Her Majesty gave on her 21st birthday, whilst on a tour of South Africa with her parents and younger sister on 1947.
– ‘I want to pay tribute to Diana myself. She was an exceptional and gifted human being. In good times and bad, she never lost her capacity to smile and laugh, nor to inspire others with her warmth and kindness. I admired and respected her – for her energy and commitment to others, and especially for her devotion to her two boys.’ – Taken from The Queen’s speech following the death of Diana in 1997.