The Duke of Cambridge has released a video message to help with a fundraising effort for the National Emergencies Trust (NET), as the UK response to Covid-19 ramps up.
Money raised will go to support those suffering hardship as a result of the coronavirus outbreak. From workers, who are struggling to make ends meet, small, local businesses closing their doors to help prevent the spread of the virus, and social distancing and self-isolation, which prevents people from visiting vulnerable loved ones.
Prince William says: “Whenever and wherever adversity strikes, the people of the UK have a unique ability to pull together.
The @NatEmergTrust has launched an appeal to raise funds to help local charities support individuals suffering hardship as a result of the coronavirus outbreak.
— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) March 18, 2020
“The way that local communities support those affected shows the very best of our values and human nature. “The public’s desire to help in the wake of tragedy needs to be managed and channelled in the best possible way, which is why the establishment of National Emergencies Trust was so important.
“I said at its launch last year that I dreaded the day when it would be needed. Sadly, with the outbreak of Covid-19, that day has come faster than any of us would have hoped.
“But now, more than ever, I am grateful that [it] exists. It will ensure that support reaches those who need it most, as quickly and efficiently as possible. And it will help to ensure that all our efforts to overcome this challenge are channelled in the best possible way.”
The NET was created following the Grenfell fire, and the terror attacks in 2017 on London and Manchester. The aim was to work collaboratively to raise funds fairly and efficiently at times of a large scale domestic disaster. The organisation will – as it is now – launch an appeal in response to a specific emergency in order to raise funds to support those that need help.
You can donate here.