What a year 2019 has been. We have had another royal wedding, a couple of royal dramas – courtesy of The Duke of York and The Duke of Edinburgh – and even a first Christmas appearance for Prince George and Princess Charlotte. But what were the stories that peaked your interest this year? Find out below…
15) The Queen gave her youngest son a new title for his 55th birthday; an Earldom from Aberdeenshire, which was your 15th most read article of 2019. The couple made a visit to Forfar later in the year to mark the gift.
14) The official photos of newborn baby Archie were wonderful, but seeing The Queen and Prince Philip greet their newest great-grandchild was so special! The Sussexes shared this snap along with the official photos of Harry, Meghan and their son in July.
13) A new family photo for the Cambridges (taken by the Duchess) makes number 13. We loved the adorable snap shared just last week, of Prince William with Louis, Charlotte and George.
12) Coming in at number 12 for our most-read article of 2019 is the Royal Family attending the Remembrance Sunday service at the Cenotaph. The Queen watched from the Foreign Office balcony again, while Prince Charles laid a wreath for her and the nation.
11) You loved seeing the European Royals join in the Garter Day procession at Windsor this year – three Monarchs in one place!
10) The news that The Duke and Duchess of Sussex wouldn’t be spending Christmas at Sandringham caught your attention; we recently learnt that they have been in Canada for the festive break.
9) Prince George’s sixth birthday photos were one of your highlights of the year, showing him on holiday and also in an England shirt. Cute!
8) The Queen made The Duchess of Cambridge a GCVO (or Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order) this year – it is a personal gift rom the Monarch, and is seen as something of a personal stamp of approval. She now wears the order – the blue sash with white and red border, and star badge at the waist – at white tie events.
7) We got to see Prince George and Princess Charlotte watch their parents racing at a sailing competition, the King’s Cup, back in August, a rare family outing. Their personalities were clear to see! Remind yourself of the event below.
6) The news that The Queen was to forgo the Imperial State Crown at the State Opening of Parliament in October caught your eye. The crown is known to be quite heavy, so The Queen – at 93 – chose the George IV State Diadem instead.
5) The Duke of York shook many people this year, with his terrible interview about his relationship with Jeffrey Epstein, and lack of remorse about it. He later stepped back from official duties following the backlash. Polls showed that he had influenced some opinions on the Monarchy since the interview.
4) Earlier this year, it was announced that The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were to set up their own household, separating from Kensington Palace. This seemed a sensible move, given Prince William is destined for Kingship, so the brothers’ paths will eventually diverge even further.
3) Remembering the fallen of WWI and WWII, the Royal Family headed to the Royal Albert Hall for the Festival of Remembrance in November.
2) Prince Louis stole our hearts with his first birthday photos, taken by The Duchess of Cambridge, of course. This was the second most-popular article in 2019.
1) Your most-read article of the year was seeing the Royal Family gather for Easter at Windsor, also The Queen’s 93rd birthday! She was joined by Prince William and Kate, Prince Harry, The Earl of Countess of Wessex and their children, Princess Anne, Peter and Autumn Phillips, Zara and Mike Tindall, amongst others.
Are you surprised by these results? Did your favourite royal story make the list? Tell us in the comments!