2020 has been a wild ride for royal watchers. With The Duke and Duchess of Sussex ‘leaving’ the Royal Family at the beginning of the year, and then a pandemic wreaking havoc across the globe leading to virtual engagements, it truly has been a year like no other.
But what royal stories caught our readers’ eyes this year? Let’s take a look…
1) We were all interested to see what a ‘scaled back’ Trooping the Colour looked like in June, when it was held in the Quadrangle at Windsor Castle. This marked The Queen’s official 94th birthday.
2) A surprise royal wedding in July caught us all of guard, but we LOVED it! Especially that Princess Beatrice wore one of her grandmother’s gowns from the 1950s.
3) The pandemic naturally meant the way The Queen conducts her official business was altered – and the weekly meeting with the Prime Minister was no different and we got a rare glimpse.
4) Everyone looked forward to seeing the official snaps from Princess Beatrice and Edo’s private nuptials at a small church in the grounds of Windsor. The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh featured as proud grandparents.
5) Climate change has been a hot topic for a number of years, but 2020 saw Prince William try to shape the future of this battle. He launched the Earth Shot prize with Sir David Attenborough to encourage ways to help solve the crisis.
6) The news that Trooping the Colour had been cancelled was unsurprising, but it was one less event in the royal calendar to look forward to…
7) In an attempt to document the unusual year, The Duchess of Cambridge launched the ‘Hold Still’ project with the National Portrait Gallery. She shared a selection of her favourites in August.
8) The Duchess of Cornwall, an avid reader herself, helped us out with a reading list at Easter. Did you read any of her choices?
9) Prince Louis broke our hearts in April, when he was covered in paint for new birthday photos!
10) The Cambridge children and Wessex family were filmed taking part in the weekly ‘clap for carers’ back in March, to thank all the health staff at the front line, saving lives in the pandemic.
Did your favourite story make the list? Were there any surprises? Let us know in the comments!